Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Transitioners Update

I have not been blogging as much lately. One of the reasons I have not been doing so is that I have been trying to get adjusted in this new city. Relocating from Hattiesburg to Chicago was and still is a big adjustment! I have been looking for a job, an apartment, as well as adequate childcare for my little boy! Things are starting to come along now..... I'm a city girl now lol!!!

July 10th will make one whole year free of relaxer. I am really excited about that and this year has actually past by really fast. If I knew it would be this easy for me, I would have started transitioning a few years ago!! I am still in the transitioning stage because I have not cut off my relaxed ends yet. I do clip my ends every 3 months or so just to keep it neat and to get rid of some relaxed hair a little at a time.

I think I am almost ready to clip off the remaining relaxed hair and just may go through the short phase. I say this because I see so many women with their beautiful curly fros and I wish I could just wash and go sometimes. I won't cut it yet because I want to make sure I am mentally prepared for that cut. I want to cut it when I feel like my natural hair is longer and overpowering my relaxed hair. It is almost there but not quite.

There is this natural hair event in Atlanta the last weekend of October where they want to do 400 big chops. My sister-n-law is also transitioning and I think it has been 4-5 mths post relaxer for her. We both have been talking about going to this event and letting that be the time when we both cut off our relaxed ends. At the end of October, I will be a little over 15 1/2 months post relaxer. That will also be my birthday weekend. I'm thinking this may be the perfect time to go ahead and free my hair of the relaxed ends, if I don't clip them off beforehand!

Anyone else planning to go to that event in October?

No comments:

Post a Comment