Monday, January 3, 2011

The Battle of the Hair Types

Between 3b, 3c, 4a, and 4b which one am I???????? 

Frankly, I really don't care!

Some people get sooo wrapped up in hair types that they forget to just enjoy their hair.  Everyone's hair is different which makes us unique, along with many other things.  Some people get mad when they "think" they have a specific hair type, they become fully natural, and their hair ends up being curlier or kinkier than they expected.  So they may go buy tons of products trying to make their hair do something it won't do or get mad because their hair isn't like they expected.  Others may go back to a relaxer because it wasn't what they were expecting.

I did not get a relaxer until right before going to highschool.  So I know what my hair is like in it's natural state, BUT, I did not comb my own hair then... my mom combed my hair all the time so it will still be an experience and learning process for me.  Many women who go natural are just seeing their hair for the first time because they were relaxed at a young age and they may get disappointed when they have this preconceived notion that their hair will be a specific type and it is different than expected.

I have been looking into this hair typing system to see the benefits of it.  So far, the only benefit I see is the ability to get connected with other women who may have a similar texture and being able to explain to someone who can't see you in person how your hair looks.  Products don't require you to know your hair type.  I have never seen a product that said it was for 2b/3c/4a hair.  I have seen products that say for wavy/curly/kinky hair.

I also think the hair typing system can go along with the whole good hair bad hair notion and people believing that a specific hair type is better or is considered to be "good hair".  Some people may favor one hair type over another but when we do it amongst ourselves we are just separating ourselves from one another.  I've talked to some people about going natural and some people will respond saying, I don't have good hair or I don't have curly  hair so it wouldn't look right.  But it's all hair and we all can achieve the look we want if we learn to manipulate our hair to our advantage.

So, regardless of your hair type, whether it is 2b, 4c, or a freaking F, learn to love the hair  you were blessed with!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Actually I was 5 years old when my mother relaxed my hair. So I didn't have the choice to opt out of the situation. I am 27 years old, and I have been a natural for 4 1/2 months. Honestly, I couldn't wait to see my hair for the first time. I was excited! When I would see relaxed strands I would get mad and say, "when is my natural hair going to come in?" I had what some call "scab hair". Having a relaxer for over 20 years it took about 2 1/2 months for my "real hair" to show up. Even now I still see relaxed ends every now and again. But I love my hair and I will never use relaxers again. It's said to never say never, but NEVER! The only reason I wanted to know my hair type was for knowing sake. It really doesn't matter to me the exact type.....what matters is that it's ALL MINES! I can't have it any other way! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete